The Ministry of the Environment to Cohost “Update Fukushima,” a Panel Discussion
Date and time: 13:00 – 17:00, Saturday, February 10, 2018
Venue: 3rd floor, U Thant International Conference Hall, United Nations University
The Ministry of the Environment , Japan(MOEJ) will cohost a Panel Discussion “Update Fukushima”—Cheer Fukushima by Knowing It More and Sharing That Knowledge More, to be hosted by the Update Fukushima Executive Committee and held at the United Nations University’s U Thant International Conference Hall (Shibuya-ku, Tokyo) on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
While environmental recovery in Fukushima after the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake is well underway, the area still suffers misconceptions within Japan and abroad due mostly to the lack of accurate information. To help correct this situation, the ministry will cohost the aforementioned event to provide an opportunity to discuss and share viewpoints and effective methods necessary to communicate correct information on the true state of Fukushima.
Members of the press who wish to attend the event are asked to notify the Update Fukushima Secretariat by email in advance (see below for details).
1. Outline of Panel Discussion “Update Fukushima”
- Official event name: Panel Discussion “Update Fukushima”
- Date and time: 13:00 – 17:00, Saturday, February 10, 2018 (Doors Open 12:30)
- Venue: 3rd floor, U Thant International Conference Hall, United Nations University (5-53-70 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo)
- Host: Update Fukushima Executive Committee, composed of members: Ryugo Hayano, Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo; Sae Ochi, Lecturer, Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Tokyo Jikei University School of Medicine; William McMichael, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Fukushima University; and Hiroshi Kainuma, Associate Professor, Kinugasa Research Organization, Ritsumeikan University
- Cohosts: Ministry of the Environment and United Nations University
- With (scheduled) support from: Cabinet Office, Government of Japan ;Reconstruction Agency; Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Agency for Natural Resources and Energy; Fukushima Prefecture; Fukushima Prefectural Board of Education; and ONE Fukushima (Fukushima Minpo, Fukushima Min-yu Shimbun, Fukushima TV, Fukushima Central TV, Fukushima Broadcasting, TV-U Fukushima, Radio Fukushima, and FM Fukushima)
- Cooperation: Fukushima High School, Fukushima Futaba Future School
By Kazuhiko Takemoto, Director of United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability
Part 1: Thoughts on Fukushima Today—Theories
By the four members of the Update Fukushima Executive Committee
Part 2: How the State of Fukushima Today Is Communicated—Case Studies
By William McMichael (see above); Vikram Channa, Creative Chief, Discovery Channel; Akira Ito, TV Programming Division of TV-U Fukushima; Riken Komatsu, president of Alternative Space UDOK; Hiroshi Motoki, president of Wonder Farm; Ryugo Hayano (see above); Shunya Okino and Honoka Ara, both juniors at Fukushima High School; and Ryo Endo, a junior at Fukushima Futaba Future School
Part 3: Cheer Fukushima by Knowing It More and Sharing That Knowledge More—Summary
Participants in panel discussion: four members of the Update Fukushima Executive Committee; Takashi Hara, a teacher at Fukushima High School; Ippei Nango, Vice Principal, Futaba Future School; and Hideka Morimoto, Vice Minister of the Environment, MOEJ
Moderator: Marie Takahashi, Tokyo FM program navigator
Note: Discussion topics and panel members are subject to change.
2. Event attendance application by the general public (free of charge; advance applications required)
- 200 applications accepted on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Apply with the Update Fukushima Secretariat by Wednesday, February 6, 2018, by email or by submitting the application form provided on either of the two websites below.
- Event websites: http://josen.env.go.jp/update_fukushima/en/
For inquiries, contact the Update Fukushima Secretariat
3. Event attendance application by members of the press
(1) Members of the press wishing to cover the event are asked to notify the Update Fukushima Secretariat by email by Tuesday, February 6, 2018. (You will not be admitted without a prior application.)
◇Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) State in your email that you are a member of the press wishing to cover the event, along with your name, the media you represent, your section, the number of members of your group attending the event, and your contact information. We will provide the necessary number of press seats at the event.
This event will protect personal information based on laws concerning the protection of personal information. We do not use personal information for other purpose or provide it to third parties at all.
■For inquiries on this matter, contact:
Daisuke.Uesako, Hiroyuki.Kuroda, Office for Decontamination of Radioactive Materials and International Cooperation, Environmental Regeneration and Material Cycles Bureau, Ministry of the Environment, Japan
Phone: +81-3-3581-3351 (ex. 7512,7513) Facsimile: +81-3-3581-3505