MIDORI Prize for Biodiversity 2018
Wednesday 31 October
12:00 Press Conference
13:00 Award Ceremony, Winners’ Forum
The AEON Environmental Foundation (Chairman: Takuya Okada, Honorary Chairman and Adviser of AEON Co., Ltd.) announced today that it will hold an award ceremony on Wednesday, 31 October, for the MIDORI Prize for Biodiversity 2018. Prior to the ceremony, a press conference will be held as shown below.
The MIDORI Prize for Biodiversity was established in 2010 at the 10th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP 10) in Nagoya to commemorate the 20th anniversary of our foundation. The Prize is an international award to honor individuals for their notable activities for the environment that promote the preservation of biological diversity and the advancement of sustainable practices at the global level. From the second awarded in 2012, it has been co-organized with the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. It is awarded biennially in alternation with the Biodiversity Award that honors individuals in Japan.
This year, which is the fifth, the Prize is awarded, three names were selected from among the 129 nominees from 51 countries. The Prize Winners are: from the United Kingdom, Dr. Kathy MacKinnon, Chair of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) / World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA); from Lebanon, Mr. Assad Serhal, the Director General of the Society for the Protection of Nature in Lebanon (SPNL); and from Malaysia, Professor Abdul Hamid Zakri, Co-Chair of the Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology and former Science Advisor to the Prime Minister of Malaysia.
We would like to invite you to attend this press conference and the award ceremony. If you plan to attend, we request that you please notify us by filling out and sending the attendance form. Please see the details in the attachment.
【Press Conference】 ※ This will be a seated event
1. Date and time: Wednesday, October 31, 12:00-13:00 (Reception desk opens at 11:30)
2. Location: Tachibana Conference Room, 2nd Floor, Palace Hotel Tokyo (1-1-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo)
3. Event details: Opening Remarks, Introduction to the Activities of the Winners, Question-and-answer session
4. Participants: Dr. Kathy MacKinnon (Prize Winner)
Mr. Assad Serhal (Prize Winner)
Professor Abdul Hamid Zakri (Prize Winner)
Naoki Hayashi, AEON Environmental Foundation (Executive Director)
* Lunch will be provided in Aoi Ballroom 30 minutes prior to and after the Press Conference (from 11:30-12:00 and 13:00-13:30)
【Award Ceremony, Winners’ Forum】
1. Date and time: Wednesday, October 31, 14:00-18:30
2. Location: Aoi Ballroom, 2nd Floor, Palace Hotel Tokyo (1-1-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo)
3. Schedule: Award Ceremony 14:00-15:00
Winners’ Forum 15:00-17:15
4. Principal Participants:
Hideka Morimoto, Vice-Minister, Ministry of the Environment
Takuya Okada, Chairman, AEON Environmental Foundation
Hiroshi Yokoo, Chairman, Board of Directors, AEON Co., Ltd.
【For inquiries about this event】
Please contact Mr. Itatani or Mr./Ms. Nishikata, AEON Environmental Foundation